Friday, 21 March 2014

First Day of Spring and Traditional Gingerbread

What a lovely first day of spring-at the moment! the wind is blowing those clouds across that lovely blue sky and I am sure when I come back from work tonight it will be totally different weather.
Just how many different daffodils can we have, I am not going to try and put them all in but here is a small collection

         


I do apologise that I don't know the names of them all I am pretty sure they are part of a Jonquilla mixed selection that I had, to be honest I don't mind what they are called as they just make me smile as I walk past them.
On the quest still for healthy cakes this week I have adapted a gingerbread recipe which is a big favourite with the males in the house, when ever I ask what cake they want this is the one that is requested.So I was treading on dangerous ground thinking of changing it
 175g(6oz) Plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1tsp cinnamon powder}
1tsp nutmeg}I usually used mixed spice but didn't have any so mixed these two
75 g( 3 oz)margarine
50g(2oz)light brown sugar
100g(4oz) black treacle
50g(2oz) syrup
100ml (4fluid oz) low fat natural yoghurt
2eggs beaten

Oven 160C 325F gas 3
Grease and line a 1kg( 2,2lb) loaf tin

Now this cake is done by the melting method and if you want to put all your dry ingredients together and the do it the right way you can but I tend to do it the quick way

Put margarine,sugar,syrup and treacle in a pan , heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.Cool slightly I then put the pan on the scales and sieve in the flour,spices and raising agent. 
Then add the yoghurt and eggs and gently combine everything with a metal spoon.Don't take too long as the bicarbonate soda will start to react
Pour into tin and cook in the oven for about 50 mins, again try to put another cake in at the same time, but you will need to prepare the other one first as you don't want this one reacting too long.
It is cooked when  a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Normally this cake is better a couple of days later when it has matured and softened, my eldest had some warm as it had come out of the oven and I had some girl friends over and they really liked it. So this is for you Tess x








4 comments:

  1. Just wait when the clocks change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait, more time to spend in the garden

      Delete
  2. I love the pictures of your daffodils they are so pretty and bright - your ginger cake looks yummy too. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sarah, hope you also have a good weekend

      Delete