Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Stottie cake and Pease Pudding

My mum has just been up north, unfortunately for my cousins funeral. When I say up north my mum is a Geordie now living in the Midlands.She then has great delight in phoning us when ever she goes up to tell us she is having her Stottie cake and Pease Pudding.Now don't be fooled this is not a sweet dish , it is most definitely savoury,Stottie Cake is in fact a bread and I cannot believe I have never made it as we all really love it-hence the phone call and the tease.
This time when she phoned she spoke to her eldest grandson who gave her a bit of a hard time about the tease, so much so she bought some back with her. This then meant hubby and son had to take a trip across to see her yesterday to pick the treats up (I was working).

So Stotty Cake is made in much the same way as most bread recipes and I have checked out a few recipes on line but this one is the one I will be trying

Strong white flour 9oz
Water                  5oz
Yeast 1 sachet
Sugar  1/2 teaspoon
Salt     1/2 teaspoon
Lard                    1oz

Either use your bread maker as usual or put flour into bowl with sugar,salt ,lard and yeast and make a well in the centre,add water incorporating the flour from the edges until you have a ball of dough,knead for 5-10 minutes, then leave in a bowl covered with a tea-towel or cling film until doubled in size.
Then place onto a floured surface and roll into a disc about 20cm (8in) and about 1cm thick
Place on a greased floured tray
Prick about 10 times with a fork
Prove for 2 minutes
Put into a preheated oven 220 C, Gas 7 and immediately turn down the oven to 160 C, Gas 3
Bake for 20 mins

Now to Pease Pudding, we were so lucky as it is not always cooked with ham but mum did us proud and got us the proper stuff.It is yellow split peas with onions and ham and is the texture of hummus with a mild taste.I love it cold and hubby loves it hot as the nursery rhyme says

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old

It would never last that long in our house,lucky if it lasts the day


                                                                  THANKS MUM x

3 comments:

  1. I can almost taste it ! We used to live in Newcastle and there was a 'Stottie shop' on the corner. Ham and Pease puddn' was a real favourite - in a stottie of course !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss them so much but I am going to have a try at making Stottie Cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of pease pudding before in the rhyme but I've never heard of stottie cake.

    ReplyDelete