Tuesday, 9 April 2013

At last !!!!

AT LAST,the potatoes are in and thanks to reading other peoples blogs I am trying some different ones this year.L am still growing Foremost but new to me are Bambino,Vales Sovereign and Sarpo Mira,we don't have a large area for growing potatoes as we are mainly raised beds.

As you can see we have an area that we cover with weed suppressant membrane, you can just about make out the slits,I plant the potatoes through these a good 12 " deep and then there is no need to earth up.The membrane not only acts as weed barrier but tends to warm the soil up as well.

AT LAST finally showing some life is

The rhubarb,we have some we are forcing so will take some pictures when we take the cover from it,this is also in the raised bed so I think hiding away from all the bitter wind we have been having.

AT LAST the Globe artichokes,I have grown ornamentals before and sowed these from seed last year and planted them in the autumn so am really hoping they are going to do something this year.

AT LAST I also managed to clear the strawberry bed and found quite a few flower buds hiding away underneath all the dead leaves.I am sure these will get frosted but there will be plenty more to follow,I then gave them a good feed.
AT LAST I have started to move lots of things across to the unheated greenhouse as I was running out of room in the heated one,I will let them harden off in here,normally I would put them out with some fleece over but I don't think we have seen the last of the really cold stuff yet.
 
AT LAST Just to prove I grow flowers as well as my blog name suggests I took a picture of these lovely Hyacinths,they smell heavenly.They were in a wicker basket my brother gave to me on our birthday(he is my twin) a couple of years ago.The crocus have gone over but I know these will last a while.
AT LAST,the lovely bright green leaves of the Hawthorn is showing along the hedgerows,it is a lovely green so fresh.
AT LAST I actually managed to sit in the garden with a cuppa and had a lovely time watching the Blue-tits,there were 3 sets going from box to box,having a good look round a good chatter to each other then a bit of inter-action between the sets.One in particular could't have been totally happy with his mate and was intent on trying to woe one of the other females.They got a bit carried away at one point and were in and out of the hedge until the blackbird came and gave them a good telling off as they were a bit close to his nest.I also saw the thrush dive out of the Pyracantha yesterday, it would be nice to see her nesting in the garden again,she nested in the honeysuckle one year which was right next to our table,in a normal summer(the last two not counting) we tend to have most of our meals outside so we ended up having to move the table.

14 comments:

  1. Things are certainly starting to move now that we've got a bit of sunshine around. I too love watching the birds. I position the feeders so that I can sit on the sofa and watch all the comings and goings, it keeps me entertained all day. I'm pleased to let you know that you've won my giveaway. Would you please let me have your address so that I can get your prize in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo,what a lovely suprise,our feeders are overlooked from the kitchen,seeing that I spend so much time in there I do manage to watch them quite a bit

      Delete
  2. Looking great Flowerlady! I've never tried growing spuds under weed resistant material but have heard a lot of others have success with it. I'm sure you'll have a great harvest. Spring has certainly sprung hasn't it? :)

    PS - drop by my blog today and have a look at my latest post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two in one day,what is going on I never win anything.A very, very big thankyou

      Delete
  3. Here in Cornwall there's lots of everything out, but the nights are still very cold so not good for frost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your climate but I expect at certain times it can be as challenging as everywhere else

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovel to discover your blog through the one I am engaged to write for the Malvern Spring Gardening Show. Maybe we can meet, if you are going. (I won't be so bold a to promote it here, but leave that to you if you wish to do so.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Ann,must be serendipity. As I haven't bought a gardening magazine for ages but did so yesterday,only to find you had written an article about your orchard.It was lovely,I don't know if I will make the show this year as I have another appointment this year.

      Delete
  6. I wish my potatoes were in, it seems so late to be planting them. They will be in this weekend whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with Easter being earl it is making us all think we are behind,but the weather isn't helping

      Delete
  7. You've certainly been very busy, I'm sure you can look forward to a bumper potato harvest. My strawberries barely have any leaves on them yet, let alone flowers. Hopefully they'll catch up now the weather is milder though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure everything will all have a surge,lets just hope that everything can stay in front of the weeds!!!

      Delete
  8. We are trying to use weed control fabric more and have been thinking about potatoes. Have you had success with this method. Just wondered how all the leaf growth finds its way through the holes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have done this previously and works really well.All you do as the leaves are shooting is make a slit in the fabric and they manage fine.

    ReplyDelete