Thursday, 4 April 2013

April and still making Soup !!!!

I have said in a previous post about the sweet peas,well I did sew another lot-fortunately I still had some seed left.Because of the mice situation this lot got sown on the kitchen windowsill and in polystyrene modules.Once they are about 3-4 inches tall you need to pinch the tops out, this will give a much bushier plant
      The recent sun we have just had is bringing out all sorts of little gems,some welcome and some worryingly as the weather forecast is still so cold.


This Hellebore I have also had in a previous post it is Helleborus x Ericsmithii,the lovely pink on the back of the petals is so subtle,with the sun shining on it the yellow stamens and the lovely green at the base of the petal's I think make it a real little gem

I have also been busy in the kitchen with the  hot cross buns and various cakes that just have to be consumed this time of year.I am still making soups!!!!!!  It is April for goodness sake.So I am going to share this Butternut squash soup that has a nice warm kick to it.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 oniion chopped
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger-less if you are not so keen on ginger
1 jalepeno pepper,seeded and chopped
1 butternut squash(about 2 pound) peeled,seeded,chopped
500ml chicken stock
1 can evaporated milk(12fld oz)
1/2 cup coconut milk(I use powder Fox's Spices do a lovely one,150ml warm water to 50 gm powder makes a lovely milk)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp cumin


Looking at the colours of this lot you just know you are going to get something yummy from it!

Melt the butter,add the onion,ginger and pepper.Cook until the onion has become translucent. Add the cumin and give it all a good stir before adding the stock.If you don't like it creamy(which hubby doesn't) don't add the evaporated milk but add more stock.Add the butternut squash and bring to the boil,reduce to a medium heat,cover and simmer until the squash is tender-about 30 mins.
Stir in the evaporated milk,coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste.Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.

In batches liquidise or use a hand blender and do it in the pan.If using a liquidiser put back into a clean pan.Ladle into bowls,I garnished mine with home-made Greek yoghurt(new purchase,will let you know how I get on with it) and thyme from the garden


                                           It is silky smooth and spicy at the same time-enjoy

13 comments:

  1. I haven't had that soup for ages so might just make some - thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do

      Delete
  2. I made pumpkin soup for Easter and we are still going strong on beef broth with little ravioli floating around in it! YUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ravioli with broth sounds interesting-another recipe you will have to give me

      Delete
  3. It's definitely still soup and stew weather, stew for us tonight. We've got cold, gusty winds here today, just when I thought that spring might actually be arriving as we've had sunshine over the last few days, still mighty cold though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winds are the same Jo,the sun can be deceiving at the moment,we even had some more snow flurries yesterday

      Delete
  4. I'm still making soup, too, as it is bitter cold here again. My husband's favorite is pea soup and I'm about to make a batch. He also loves chile. But I can't wait for salad weather! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have some salad leaves growing in the greenhouse that will want eating soon-what a wally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still soup weather here - yours sounds yummy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually got some salad bits today,i had some salad leaves in the greenhouse that needed something to go with

      Delete
  7. I've been surprised how pink our hellebore Niger gave gone this year - I haven't noticed this happening before. They do start off very white. I wonder if it is the cold weather as that often turns leaves pinkish

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Viburnum always does this,every year it amazes me.This Hellebore is always a dusky pink which looks lovely with the blue/purple crocus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely still soup weather although at long last there are some signs of it warming up. Your butternut squash soup looks seriously yummy. Sounds as if the mice enjoy munching your sweet pea seeds - hope that the seedlings are not as tempting :)

    ReplyDelete