Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Spring or not ?

Is it spring or not?,there are certainly some strange goings on,everything is budding and even starting to flower like my Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata',but according to my gardening journal my Magnolia stellata is also normally flowering now.


Unfortunately the light is not very good today but the flowers have a lovely pink tinge to them and smell divine.
The dog got trimmed at the weekend,he is hoping for warmer weather !! and the Dunnock was very busy all afternoon collecting his hair and disappearing off to the Leylandii hedge,the robin must be a bit behind him as he didn't want any of the soft fur,he was busy collecting bits of dead leaves to make his nest.The blackbird has made his/her nest already and they are busy sitting in the Pyracantha,she  made me laugh the other morning,we have a small plant tray which we put water in for the birds to drink.(you can see it on the Sun Rays post it is tiny)but she somehow managed to have a really long wash in it.Yes all signs of Spring ,as were the Skylarks singing away over the field as I walked the dog,but what I didn't expect to hear the same time as the Skylarks were Redwing and Fieldfare along the hedgerow,when I looked there were a big group of them flying up from the opposite field,maybe they think it is too cold to go back home.
They cut the asparagus down in the field at the bottom of the garden last week,again as I walked the dog I could hear a Lapwing,we get the odd ones but to my delight I saw something I have not seen since I was a child,a whole flock flew up from out of the field calling and with there distinctive wings and flight it made my day.
So I don't know if I dare say the mouse problem seems to now be under control,but we have no sign for a few days, I am glad to say  there is a lot of other activity going on  in the greenhouse


                                             Seedlings are sprouting


Some have been potted on




Onions,garlic and shallots are planted,potatoes are chitting waiting to go into the ground next week-weather permitting.The weather and nature might be telling us one thing one day and then totally different the next.I think as gardeners we tend to be an optimistic lot ,so for me 
YES Spring is here

23 comments:

  1. Yes we are definitely an optimistic lot. Judging by the amount of seedlings I have that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad it is not only me,then we end up giving some away as we always grow too many,kind hearted souls that we are

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had sleety rain today so winter doesn't appear to want to let go completely. My sisters dog was clipped too last week so I must put some wool out if I can scrounge some from my sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just doesn't seem to want to let go this year,it's lovely to think even the dogs fur gets recycled

      Delete
  4. I reckon Easter weekend will be a really busy one for the garden centres, because everyone is just itching to get on and plant something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mark,I try to be ahead of the game but know I will still end up having to go for something

      Delete
    2. Ps Mark,thanks to you PSB is one of those sets os seedlings

      Delete
  5. I just love Daphne - there's a bush at the end of my road and the smell is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For such a little flower it really does pack a punch

      Delete
  6. Nothing in my greenhouse as you know but lovely to read what you are up to.Will be seeing mandy at the weekend... can't you fit in her hand luggage?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to fit in her suitcase,have a great time in the snow,hope they love it as much as we do x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks a little more spring like here today, we've even had a bits of sunshine this morning. Different to yesterday when I woke to snow, yet again. How lovely to have so many birds round about. I'm starting to get a few different ones in the garden now to what I used to, but nothing like the variety you have. I haven't seen any of them nest building yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we must be a bit warmer and we haven't had the snow you have Jo,saying that it is freezing here today

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! So this is where Spring is! :) Hope the weather gets warmer for your dog... it's bloomin' freezing here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a tough old thing,we don't completely shave him Mo he is a springer and has to have a good trim now and then otherwise he gets lots of teasels and stuff in his fur

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello flowerlady ~ thank you for visiting my blog. When I first saw your post, I thought, did I post to myself? :-) My husband thought of the name flowerlady for me when I first got online in '99. Thank you for becoming a follower.

    Your magnolia is pretty and your seedlings look great. I've got seedlings up too and it is so exciting to watch them grow.

    I'll have to read more of your blog to see where you are located. I'm in s.e. FL. Just lost my dear husband of 43 years in Dec. It is rough as I miss him terribly, more than words can say.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your hubby,I have been with mine for 28 years and don't know where I would begin without him,but it sounds as if you are keeping yourself busy.I am in Worcestershire in the UK,just below the Cotswolds and with a view of the Malvern Hills,beautiful

      Delete
  13. I love that photo at the end with the little sprouts in their bottle greenhouses. What a fantastic idea, I might have to steal that for some cuttings I'm planning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bottles were an idea of good old Geoff Hamilton,they are the cucumbers and melons as it is a bit too cool for them when they come out of the propagator.I also do my basil and coriander this way,

    ReplyDelete
  15. At first glance, I was thinking, 'Flowerlady doesn't know it's Spring? She lives in perpetual Spring!' Wait. There are two Flower Ladies! And one has a greenhouse!

    It's spring by the calender. The plants are blooming on their own schedule. It will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am certainly the flowerlady who is lucky enough to have 2 greenhouses,one I keep heated and one unheated,so daylight permitting spring can come a bit earlier even if the weather doesn't want to play ball

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear FlowerLady ~ Thank you for your kind comment on my last blog post. It is amazing how much we have in common besides our online names, and oh my, you live in a beautiful part of the world, you are blessed. May you and your husband have a lovely Easter ~ FlowerLady from Florida USA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep us up to date on what is happening on your Garden Blog
    It would be great to see you over at the Blooming Gardening Blogs Community.
    http://www.bloomingblogs.com/apply-to-join-blooming-blogs/

    ReplyDelete