Monday, 18 February 2013

Pithivier and Peas

No I have not gone mad,those of you that know what pithivier is will think I have lost the plot.Todays post features a french pudding and the progress of my sweet peas.
Firstly the Pithivier,I got Paul Hollywoods How to bake book and am slowly working through the recipes.I make bread most days and have quite a few dough recipes in my repertoire,but I can not make my sourdough look like Mr Hollywoods photos!!!! sorry I digress,Pithivier-beautiful



500g puff pastry
Flour for dusting
1 egg,lightly beating for glazing
For the filling
140g unsalted butter softened
140g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
2tbsp dark rum (hubby had drunk it all so used rum essence)
finley grated zest of one orange
140g ground almonds
20g plain flour

Line a baking tray with parchment/silicone paper
For the filling,beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy.Mix in the eggs,rum and orange zest,then fold in the ground almonds and flour
Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a large round about 3mm thick.Use a large plate as a guide,cut out a 28cm round and put it on the prepared baking tray.
Spread the filling over the pastry,leaving a 2cm clear margin around the edge.Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.Roll out the remaining pastry and cut another 28cm circle.Lay this on top of the filling and press the edges of the pastry firmly together to seal.Chill for at least one hour.
Heat oven to 220 c.Brush the pastry with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.Leave until cool then dust with icing.
It can be eaten warm or cold and can honestly say it was wonderful,the orange with the almonds,lush.It didnt last long with 3 big males in my house!!!!!


Then onto Sweet peas,I save my own seed each year and soak my seeds before sowing ,that way I know that the seeds have germinated



They only took a week and then today have gone into their toilet rolls which I know a lot of yo do already

To keep you updated on my trail of my cosmos,cerinthe major and verbascum,the cerinthe and cosmos have been potted on but the verbascum have just been moved into the unheated propagator but are not ready for transplanting yet




6 comments:

  1. YUM!
    P.S. put you in my draw and Teresina picked you out! So you will be getting a letter soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sat thankyou to her,cant wait for the postman now xxx

      Delete
  2. The breads you make look fantastic! Maybe I need to take a leaf out of Hollywood's book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has some lovely recipes,I have been making bread for years but it is good to try something different

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw his book too! They scare me really haha, how can someone bake so perfectly?! seems liek you did a wonderful job so I'm slightly encouraged. great one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say as long as it tastes good its worth the try

    ReplyDelete